Sunday, July 25, 2010

La Familia de White Plains


When I tell people I was planning to hit up Nueva York, they always
ask what part I'm staying at. Not like they have heard of anything
other than the boroughs of the city, and think all other places are
way upstate. I tell them White Plains. This is where my Dad was born
and his side of La Familia resides, Los Colombianos. Most have only
heard of the city name in passing during beer commercials. Next time
you see a Heinekin commercial of the most interesting Dos Equis guy,
you'll hear White Plains, NY at the end. This place has it all
though. 4 malls, yup 4! True, 1 is severly ghetto, but the other 3
are cool. There is a good library here that my family uses as their
blockbuster. You can rent up to 25 dvd's each, and they got newer
releases. 25 each, for free! Lots fo great places to eat, none
better than the new discovery of the Iron Tomato. I've been there 3
times this week. Those meatball calzones are the best in the world.
White Plains has some sentimental value as well. Mi bisabuela lives
here, that is my great grandma. She stays at the same spot she has
been since my dad was born. She's got an apartment in a huge brick
building and in the next apartment is my great aunt n uncle and 4
cousins. Yea, 4 of them crazy Gomez's. First is the only girl,
Gabby, she is aptly named because she never is quiet. We call her Yo
Gabba Gabba. Next is Alex, he always wants to carry me, but then he
puts me down right away. He's in his 2nd year in high school and
already way taller than my dad. Then there is Sebastian, he is the
Dr. Evil to my Mini Me. Then finally Frankie, the hyper boy, who
needs to take the blue pill more often. I love hanging out with them
each in their own crazy way. We went to the Saxon Woods pool the
other day. We took the taxi there. Pretty sweet, since it was both
my first time in a taxi and first time in a car without my car seat.
This pool was a community pool for the whole county. It holds over
1500 people. The line to get in was about 45 minutes, but this pool
was huge. I tried not to swallow water, because I am sure there was
tons of pee in it. What kinda sucked was that I was too short to do
the kiddie part with the slide and my mom was too tall to go in with
me, so I just swam around with the parentals and cousins.
I have some other cousins as well, just across the border in Jersey.
Bianca is the oldest, and going to school at Rutgers, she is the
brains of the family. Next is Jake who I didn't get to meet yet since
he was at camp, and finally Sophia. This girl wouldn't keep her hands
off of me and kept trying to kiss me, ugh! Girls have cooties! I
wish I could take them all back with me in my suitcase, but each extra
piece of luggage is gonna be an extra 50 bucks. Oh well, we always
have facebook to chat. Come visit! Miss ya familia!

No comments:

Post a Comment