Sunday, July 25, 2010

Empire State of my Diaper


Flew to the East Coast and your boy Ryan becomes Rocco in the NYC.
The city is cool, but definately not built for toddlers like me. I
thought that they'd prep it up a bit upon hearing about my arrival,
but I guess the memo wasn't sent since there was no record of my
flight. My parents opted not to get me a seat and instead treated me
like carry on luggage and lapped me for free for 3000 miles to save
some green. Cheapskates! But seriously, what's up with the
discrimination against the youth and elderly? You can't do anything
if you are confined to a wheelchair or stroller. I heart NY maybe,
but it sure don't feel like NY hearts Rocco. Wheels in the city?
Fuggetaboutit! First off, have you seen the gap between the trains
and the platform? Yes, Mind the gap, but I can't jump that and my
wheel is smaller than the gap! I gotta get my whole ride carried
over. Next, the aisels are so tight I can't get wheeled through so I
gotta go find the handicap area to chill in. These New Yorkers,
sheesh, they seem to prefer these handicap seats. I roll up on them
and they don't wanna give me eye contact, so I gotta roll up on their
toes to get their attention. So I get my handicap spot and we are
off, we pull up to grand central and everyone is in a mad dash for the
exit, of course people try to cut in front of me and bump me, so I
scrape the back of their heels with the stoller. I can get pretty
passive-aggressive, so watch yourselves that you don't cross me wrong.
Finally get past the crowd as they all take the stairs and I'm left
to find an elevator. The elevators are scares and 1/2 the time they
are broken or under maintenance. These smell severly as well, kinda
like my diapers after a good Chipotle beans n rice lunch. Most subway
stations don't even have an elevator, so I gotta be carried in my
stroller up the many long and narrow flights of stairs. I gave a
piece of my mind back as I skipped most subway fares and went thru the
emergency exits. Even walkin around the city, you need off roading
tires on your rides with all the potholes, curbs that dont reach all
the way down to the street, and big steps to get into stores.
Hopefully next time I can ditch the stroller and depend on my legs and
have a long enough attention span to stay focused on walking straight
and following the parentals. The ADA would have a field day on this
if it were Cali.
I do gotta say though, besides that part, I really do heart NY. The
fun started off in Chinatown & Canal Street. We followed hustlers
down streets and alleys to backrooms to check out the Louis &
Tiffany's and all the best deals. Even found a mini sweatshop looking
place where I got me my next Chinese New Years outfit. My bud got
herself a Chanel wallet and momma got some new earrings for a few
bucks. In C-Town we grubbed a few scallion pancakes and tolled up to
Lil Italy to get in touch with some more of your boy Rocco's roots.
Momma did some damage in SoHo, while Pops laced me up in some jerseys
from the NBA store and Modell's.
The food in NYC is great. Took a break from the organic baby jar food
for a while and grubbed international. Went with the crew to Sofrito
for some Puerto Rican meat n rice, since it was restaurant week, but
nothing tops the charts in the city that the Halal food cart. Not all
food carts are the same. Hit up the one on the southwest corner of
53rd & 6th. Grab some of the Lamb over rice and get all the white
sauce you can. They make it fresh and their Tzakiki is their own
special creation. 6 bucks for a huge plate. The line may be long but
it's worth the wait. You got the Rocco guarantee on that one.
NYC is about culture. Some many museums to choose from, but I'm 1, so
we hit up the CMOM, Childrens Museum of Manhattan. AKA Si Mom, yo
quiero ir. This place is sweet. I got in free, but parents had to
pay. Sucks for them. It's all hands on, unlike all the other
museums. 4 stories fo fun here, and another Rocco rec. Bottom floor
is all science and brain games, but it's the 2nd floor for where the
party is at. Dora and Diego set up shop there. Played and learned
about animals, plus slides, cars, and blocks. Spent a good hour plus
here. Next floor up is a big playroom. Sand trays, paint aream fire
truck, ball games, and more slides. I partook in it all for another
hour. Got a little too excited with the paint and my new kicks are a
little more blue now. 4th floor is for them older folk, you know age
4 and up. Outside is a big water area where I splashed and made my
own wet T-shirt party. Upper Westside, come check it out.
What is NYC without sports? Took the 6 train to my 1st Yankee game.
I was pimpin out my new jersey, but it was so hot out, even though it
was a night game, and I cheered on topless. I partied with my milk
belly hanging out. Saw a Swisherlicious homer, but my attention was
more on the domician chick one row up. She was an older woman, maybe
14 months. We clapped together, pointed at each other, and jumped
around together. Even saw her later downstairs as we were leaving and
got me a hug goodbye.
In all NYC was fun. I'll be back for sure, definately to that food
cart. Hopefully will come in Winter to see the Giants in their new
digs, but for now, I gotta write a letter to the ADA to get some help
for my young and old peeps. NYC, C ya later. Rocco, out!

No comments:

Post a Comment